"It will have blood, they say: blood will have blood."
Shakespeare's MACBETH

Introduction

In 2004, I came across John Dillinger while researching crime statistics for a screenplay I was writing and it wasn't the statistics that struck such a cord. It was the action. The multiple prison escapes(one with a fake-gun), wild shoot-outs, and robberies happening left-n-right. As my studies dealved deeper I learned that he was not alone; so many other names and events came to light on a time in Midwest America when Criminals had more control and power than the Law. I'm new to the blog world as this is my first endeavor. Enjoy.

-Driscoll-

P.S.- This is Genuine and I am trying very hard not to come across as Hoover in one of his many pestering Memos to Agents across the country.

Friday, July 11, 2008

The Film Adaptation of "Public Enemies" coming in 2009

I was knee deep into one of my writing binges when I took a break and decided to do a little research online. You know? Check out potential books to help further my knowledge. I was working on a TV MiniSeries Script (what can I say, I like to write) covering the Life and Crimes of one John Herbert Dillinger. In my search I came across "Public Enemies" by Bryan Burrough on Amazon.com and my curiosity peaked. I ordered it immediately. Seeking to know more, I went to imdb.com to see if there were any signs of an adaptation in the air.

* You will see in this blog that I hold an enormous amount of respect for Bryan Burrough and especially "Public Enemies" which is no doubt the Essential book on the Crime Wave of 1933-34. His comprehensive research and incredible attention to detail is something I aspire towards in all of my writings.

** You can also note my own ignorance in 1) Not being aware of the book (but I was early in the script stages) and 2) Not being aware that the book had been in the works 1st as an HBO miniseries quite a few years back (which fell through), and then picked up by Michael Mann as a big budget Hollywood Film. Being a film major in college and hoping to make a career in the business, it was a reality check to discover this so 'late in the game'.

To my initial dismay Dillinger was out of my reach. Thankfully though, it would be done by Michael Mann; a director I admire, respect, and find to be the close definition of 'auteur'. I still was crushed; what I saw as my 'baby' for two years was suddenly being done by the 'big boys'. I could see that it was to be no more or at least held from being shown around to anyone for what I see as at least 15 years. I cannot imagine making such a similiar story- in structure- as Mann because I feel that "Public Enemies" is going to be a CLASSIC if not one of the best 'Cops & Robbers' film ever.

He has the pedigree; cops and robberies ("Heat") and factually based films ("Ali" and, to a degree, "The Insider"), and adaptations ("Last of the Mohicans"). Mann is, for lack of a better phrase, 'the right man for the job'.

The Cast for "Public Enemies" is A-List. Johnny Depp as John Dillinger; I always envisioned a younger Daniel Day Lewis, but in 2009 NO ONE is better suited for this role than Johnny Depp. Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis; excellent selection. Giovanni Ribvisi as Alvin Karpis (though I fear he may not play as large a role in the film- I don't think the Barkers will even be in the film); perfect look wise and given Ribvisi's range I'm expecting great things. I also should bring up Marion Cotillard as Billie Frechette; beautiful and coming right off an Oscar Win. Others; Channing Tatum, Stephen Dorff, David Wenham, Billy Crudup, and Stephen Graham as Baby Face Nelson (I'm eager to see how Graham plays Nelson- an incredible supporting character to have). See for yourself @ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/

My Major Concern; Sticking to the FACTS. The only way I could envision telling John Dillinger's Story let alone the entire Crime Wave of 1933-34 was in a Miniseries; no way in a 2-3 hour Film. I'll say this now: If you want facts, go to the book. Films cannot provide a well paced, focused story-line without bending the truth. A film's Primary Responsibility when dealing with a TRUE STORY is to stay true to the characters' emotions/personality and their relationships with each other. I’m sure I will be disappointed by the fact that Mann’s “Public Enemies” loosely sticks to ALL TRUTHS but his history has shown that he knows what he’s doing. Plus, Bryan Burrough has vouched for the film (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2008/03/bryan-burroug-2.html).

Did I tell you Johnny Depp is Dillinger? I know I did, but it's perfect casting. Think of Depp in "Donnie Brasco" (not a favorite of mine but his performance is excellent), "Cry-Baby" (kidding, but you see what I mean), and "Blow" (again, not a favorite but he is damn amazing in it). I think of John Dillinger and words like charisma, charm, wit, bravado, and savy come to mind. Depp is all of these and, once more, Depp is that rare blend of humor and drama. Plus, Depp no doubt knows how to do the Dillinger 'half-grin'.

All of that said (or written as it were), I am anxious for 2009 and “Public Enemies”. I am anxious to sit in the theatre enjoying what will be a great film and avoiding the occasional turn to the person sitting next to me claiming, “That really didn’t happen” or “he never really said that”. I definitely don’t want to be ‘that guy’ so I’ll keep the criticism to myself.

public enemies depp


No comments:

St. Valentine's Day Massacre

St. Valentine's Day Massacre

The Kansas City Massacre

The Kansas City Massacre

G-Men

G-Men
Chicago SAC Melvin Purvis and Director J. Edgar Hoover

The FBI's top unspoken Agent

The FBI's top unspoken Agent
Special Agent Samuel Cowley

Napolean Complex

Napolean Complex
Lester Gillis aka George 'Baby Face' Nelson aka 'Jimmy'

The One the G-Men took away

The One the G-Men took away
Dillinger and Evelyn 'Billie' Frechette

The Brains of the Karpis-Barker Gang

The Brains of the Karpis-Barker Gang
Alvin 'Creepy' Karpis

Indiana State Prison Mugshots (all except Dillinger were escapees of Indiana aka Michigan City)

Indiana State Prison Mugshots (all except Dillinger were escapees of Indiana aka Michigan City)
Dillinger, John 'Red' Hamilton, Edward Shouse, Harry Pierpont, Charles 'Fat Charley' Makley, and Russell "Boobie" Clark

Tuscon, AZ Mugshots

Tuscon, AZ Mugshots
Dillinger, Pierpont, Makley, and Clark